It’s good to take precautions to stay safe while traveling solo. Here are some tips I’ve learned while traveling:
- Research hotels before you book them and don’t be afraid to spend a little more money on hotels. Safety is key and you want to feel secure where you are staying.
- Airbnb is another option and can be great for solo travel. I recommend either renting an entire apartment/place or if you rent a room, make sure the host is either a woman or a couple.
- Only travel during daylight hours and don’t go out once it gets dark out. This might sound lame but it’s a great way to stay safe.
- Carry a safety item with you. I recommend either a taser or pepper spray.
- Follow your gut. I had checked into a hotel while traveling but didn’t feel great about the place, my gut was telling me to leave. I left and checked into a different hotel. I didn’t get my money back but I’m SO glad I left.
- Check your surroundings when you go someplace new. Look at who is around you.
- Avoid going anywhere where you are completely alone (I.e. I would avoid hiking while traveling).
- Always lock your door when you get in. Lock your car doors, lock you hotel (or Airbnb) room.
I hope these tips have been useful for you. If you are traveling solo I hope you have fun and create some lasting memories!