Traveling around the country is something I love to do and hope to do more of in a next couple of years. The downfall of travel is the price. After a lot of research (and trial and error), I have found some ways to save money when traveling. Here are the tips that I think are most helpful:
1. Skip renting a car. When possible, consider not renting a car. Renting a car can easily add hundreds of dollars onto your trip. If you are staying somewhere that is walking distance to what you need and you are able to take public transportation (including Uber, etc.) compare the costs.
2. Use travel sites for booking your flights and hotels. Expedia is usually my go to for finding deals. You can save hundreds going through travel sites because they will compare prices for you. You can also call hotels directly and ask if they offer any deals.
3. Only bring a carry on bag. Learn how to pack light and only bring a carry on bag with you when traveling on an airplane. It’s usually around $30-$50 to check a suitcase each way. It’s definitely doable to pack for a week in a small bag.
4. Budget ahead of time. It can save you a lot time and money to budget ahead of time. Budget how much money you want to spend on food, activities and extra expenses per day. Try to be realistic but still keep a budget while planning. By keeping a budget it will help keep you within your goals when making choices on the trip.
5. Research activities before your trip to look for deals. Some examples of deals you may find are that certain days may be cheaper at a museum or if you buy your tickets online you could save money at an amusement park.
Exploring new places, experiencing new culture and getting away from normal life can be so rejuvenating. Whether traveling near or far, I hope you get a chance to do some traveling in the near future!